Thursday, January 27, 2005


Nicki wanted to visit the Tenement Museum in the Lower East Side. So we did. Afterward, I wandered around the neighbor hood for a bit. A fire truck from The New York Fire Department slowly maneuvered down the street, turned the corner and parked (!). The truck was a HUGE presence in that part of town because the streets are narrow and crowed. I was amazed the whole thing could find a place to park, but it did. There wasn't a fire to put out. I don't really know why the truck was there, but after they found a place to land it, a couple of the guys jumped down and crossed the street. They were there, apparently, to buy pickles from a vendor set up on the street. The pickles were kept in buckets of plastic and of wood and they must have been good to make it worthwhile to drive a New York City Fire truck down that street and then park it! I continued around the corner and saw this graffiti. Most of it was just spray paint tags, but what was wonderful for me was the post card picture of the chineese man, dressed in black with a mandarin red background that someone had glued up there. It made the whole thing come together for me. I imagine that must happen a lot in lower Manhattan. Posted by Hello
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter