Friday, May 20, 2005


There is something inherently mysterious about swimming pools. Particularly indoor swimming pools. The way the water forms a mirror reflecting everything around it. The "blueness" of the water, even inside a pool house. Nicki and I took the "Swimming Pool" tour of San Simeon in California, the palace that once housed the Hearst fortune. It was an incredible experience. These were swimming pools unlike any I had ever seen before. The were the stuff that legends are made of, and, indeed, there are legends about the Hearst pools. The one that says that Johnny Weissmuller swam there, for example. These swimming pools were much too grand to be used for lap swimming. They were, I'm sure, designed to set off the humans lounging there to their best advantage. They were Temples of Water. But, I have a recurring dream wherein there is a Jazzercise class of elderly ladies that I am leading in the Hearst swimming pool that is outside, overlooking the Coastal range. It is a brilliantly sunny day and the air is clear. The ladies are bouncing in the water to 70's Disco music by Kool and The Gang and I am pushing them on to greater heights of cardiovascular heath. I have no idea what this can mean. I don't even think I want to know. Some things are best least as mysteries.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter