Friday, February 23, 2007

My Dad decided, at age 80, that what he really wanted to do with his life was to be a cowboy. So, he bought some land in Tidewater, Virginia and populated it with 6 cows or so and a bull and some chickens, and geese, and peahens, and peacocks, and a dog. And he was the happiest that I have ever known him to be. There's really not much of anything there where he is, but it doesn't seem to matter to him. He's got his cows and a tractor and the land. And I wonder what power was it that took him by the hand and directed him to that place and to that purpose. It seems to me so different to what I, myself, am compelled to do. There must be a spirit guide for each of us, tailored perhaps to what our needs are when it is time to make a change and somehow we then know what the right thing to do is. Some, I think, accept that destiny; they are the ones at peace. Others either don't hear the call or fight it; they are the ones who are weary with pain.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bam-Bam said...

Beautiful story. Love your photos, too.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Jim Landry said...

Thank you, bam, for the view and the nice comment.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter