Tuesday, June 20, 2006

He said: "The first job I had out of college was for a woman who ran a theatre company. It was a diner theatre company, actually. I was the "back office guy". I kept track of where the money was coming from and where it went. She was a widow. Her husband had been a recent member of the money pile made by the Vanderbilts. That huge pile of money had gotten smaller as it traveled over the generations. But, there was enough for a big house and a diner theatre company. She was either on "ups" when she needed to be up, or "downs" when she needed to be down. The kitchen drawers were filled with prescription bottles. Sometimes, after the day was done, we'd hang out in the kitchen and talk. Sometimes, in the morning, before everything started to happen, she'd tell me about what she did the night before. Sometimes it was theatre, or a film, but most likely it was about a friend who came over for a drink. One morning she told me about an actor friend who came over, locked himself in the bathroom, and cut his penis off. She was very matter-of-fact. I didn't know what to say, other than 'Oh, God', so I went upstairs to the office and wrote checks."
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter