Saturday, March 26, 2005

Life is Words without Pictures

The sky is gray, like a hammer, as I walk down the street. The wind is not so bad. Constant, but not as bad as I would have thought. The weather is no worse than I would expect in Washington, DC at this time of year. The landscape is dramatic and bare. The people, English speaking mostly, often astoundingly beautiful, and very friendly toward us. We are staying in an apartment near the University, within walking distance of downtown and various sites, such as the super hot-tub : the Pearl, where we hiked last evening to see the city at sunset. We are surrounded, mostly, by water. One body of water is the North Atlantic. The other is less wide, but I am certain, meets up somewhere with the Atlantic. We are surrounded by the Atlantic. It is everywhere. Easter is everywhere as well. We landed on Holy Thursday. Many people were planning on leaving the city, if they were going to, on Holy Thursday. I sense a mass migration to Summer (!) houses outside of the city. It is quiet in town, as a result. The apartment is filled with art and good books and music. Miles sleeps in another small room under the roof upstairs. It seems most neighbors are gone for the Easter holiday, so we have the run the place. Good Friday was a vast plain we needed to cross to get to today: Saturday. Mostly everything, except the churches, was closed for Good Friday. Miles wanted to know what was so good about it. It is a long story. Tomorrow we return to the plain: again, everything, mostly, will be closed, except for a swimming pool or two. Many things are still closed on Easter Monday, but by Tuesday, we will be, along with everyone else, ready to rock! I write this from the National library where I have rented 30 minutes of Internet time for 200 ISK. I have no idea of how much that is. It is less than the 300 ISK for an ice cream bar last night, so it seems a good deal. I have a choice of using a computer that will give me access to my photo files, or access to a computer that is connected to the internet, but from which I canĀ“t get to my photo files. So, for the time being, I give you words and ask that you imagine the visuals. Think blonde. Think thin. Think sweaters or light, water-proof coats. Think puddles of rain on the dark streets. Think young and happy. Think Bobby Fisher!
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter