Monday, October 27, 2008

She said: "We had a neighbor, Vivian, who was maybe 90 years old, and was vigorous. She still used a wringer washing machine in her basement because the house was built around it and it couldn't be taken out, or another brought in. She ate mostly meat patties that she prepared herself, and boiled potatoes. She'd walk to the grocery store and bring a 5 pound bag of potatoes home with her in a wheely cart. She was an artist so her home was filled with her artwork. In the Fall every year she would walk into the woods across from her house and select the most vivid leaves, which she would then bring home. She's spend hours picking out the most beautiful leaves. One year, shortly before she died, I asked her: 'Vivian. What do you do with those lovely leaves I see you pluck from the trees at the beginning of November each year?' And she told me that she sent them to her nieces and nephews, and I thought that was so sweet of her to do that. I thought about what she was doing with those leaves and it took a little while for me to do the math, but a few days later it struck me: 'Oh my God! Her nieces and nephews must be in their 60s or 70s even!' She must have been sending those Fall leaves out to these people for 50 or more years! Some of those nieces and nephews may have even 'passed on' during this time. What could they possibly think of their annual mail from Vivian? And then I thought that it didn't matter, really. It was still a very sweet thing to do and that I would love to have someone mail me beautiful Fall leaves every year.

Isn't that a great story?"
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter