Thursday, June 29, 2006

A week and some daze away at the beach looking at the horizon where sky meets the sea and sound of the surf crashing blends in with the sound of cars passing on Route 1, loosing I.Q. points and taking things as they come. Returning to D.C. amid incredible rain storms with flooding almost everywhere. As we drive toward home, I notice sprinkled throughout the countryside of Delaware and Maryland, developments of Extra Large McMansions on what used to be farmland. They probably exist everywhere in America by now. I know I've seen this strange crop in Virginia and North Carolina as well. The homes stick out like gigantic melons in the middle of a field; 20 or 30 of them clumped together with no trees anywhere near to give them some shelter or to hide them from the road. After the recent rains, some of them seem to float above the flooded earth, elephant like. Who buys these things? Retiring farmers cashing in on the good money that corn or tobacco or chickens or cattle or horses bring? Maybe these could be updated migrant worker housing? Unlikely, probably. People yearning to "get away from it all"? Wouldn't McMansions out in the middle of nowhere be one of the things that they would want to get away from? It's all a mystery to me. I guest that's why I'm not a real estate agent, or at least one of the no doubt several reasons I'm not a real estate agent.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter