Wednesday, March 04, 2009

She said: "Well, I guess I had to give up a lot, but I never really thought about it in those terms. I just did what I had to do. I mean, I couldn't just stand back and watch what was going on. Nothing would've changed if I did that. They were killing the water, killing the land, killing the birds and other animals that depend on the Gulf. They already hated me because I was a woman, so I never really thought about what they would do to me that they hadn't already done. I was never one of those people that could watch something terrible happen and just walk away. I had to do something. So, I set my boat on fire to block the entrance to the commercial water lanes. That was the beginning of my protest. Now, mind you, my boat was my whole life. Without my boat I couldn't make a living. But with my wreck of a boat sitting right in the middle of the shipping lane, they couldn't deliver their poisons to the Gulf. It's surprising at how quick a body can get used to being put in jail. It got to be just a regular part of my life. 'Course, being a woman in South Texas wasn't much better than being in jail anyway."
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter