Monday, February 02, 2009

He said: "She called to me in the airport. Her plane was coming in and I was waiting for mine to land and pick me up. It was snowing in Washington, DC, so everything slowed to a crawl. She was coming to DC for a major retrospective of her paintings in the East Building. We had known each other since High School and were both artists, 'tho she was much more accomplished than I. In any event, as there was a few minutes before she could collect her bags and have the car brought around, we sat and talked about art. 'It is sad and funny, both' she said. 'When a work is done and someone comes to collect it, I hide. I can't be there when they take the painting away. Once it is gone, I am happy, but I still experience grief. Everything changes at some point in an artist's career, don't you think? When it was once fun, it now is a duty. Once a painting sells, the gloves appear, followed by insurance papers. Everything changes. I become blind to the work and try to imagine what it will look like in the future. What will my children look like then?' "
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter