Saturday, July 04, 2009

He said: "I always liked the 4th of July because of the fireworks. I like the drama that the fireworks gives the July Holiday. My mother, when I was a small boy, used to tell me that my favorite television cartoon characters were parachuting down to us while the fireworks. exploded all around us. Talk about making a dramatic entrance! It was like being shot out of a cannon or something and I believed her. I like the color of the fireworks and the loud sounds and the flash and the glitter of it all. It's a little like Mardi Gras, but not as X-rated and with more clothes on. One year a dear friend of ours came to visit and we took her to the fireworks on the the Mall in Washington, DC. This is the best fireworks in the land. No expense is spared for the DC display. What we didn't know until later is that our friend hated fireworks; she hated the noise and the smoke and the loud booms and the crowds and the whole thing, basically. But she allowed us to drag her downtown and at the end of the display of fire and bombs and of all the noise and bother, a burning piece of something or other floated down to where we were sitting and caught her blanket on fire. You can't get more dramatic then that. The other thing I like is what you can make out of the abstractions of Red, White, and Blue fireworks. They can become anything because it's all so abstract. This year, I swear, I saw a likeness of Dolly Parton and Tennessee Ernie Ford. I guess I'm in a Southern phase at the moment, but, really, whatever is just fine with me as long as it's fireworks!"
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter