Tuesday, July 14, 2009

He said: "It just happened one day recently. I hadn't thought about grade school or High School for years and years. But then, I couldn't get it out of my mind. It just seemed important to try and find out what happened to the people who used to be my friends when I was young. What happened to them? Did they still live in the area? Would I recognize them if I saw them on the street? Were they successful? Happy? Would they still want to be my friend? I missed them somehow, 40 years later. God, we had such fun; raised hell some. One guy in particular, Ronnie, was a good friend. He taught me how to fish. His family was from South Carolina, I think, but they had moved up here right after he was born. We would wade through the creeks and catch frogs and set things on fire. He helped me build a tree fort where there was a calendar of naked ladies nailed to the wall. "No Girls Allowed". My family moved a few miles away and I slowly lost track of Ronnie. We were in different schools them. I saw him a few times, and then I was in High School and then College and that was it for the old friends. I can't really explain what this craving for going back in time means. I "googled" a few names, but, of course, found nothing but other people with the same names; not the guys I knew when I was 12 or 14 or 16. I guess I just wanted to connect again somehow; connect with something that was real and good and safe, and then disappeared forever."
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter