Sunday, November 21, 2010

He said: "New York was always like a poison to me. It brought me to my knees countless times. I always seemed to be hungry in New York in the 1970s. The weather was always cold and damp; the smells around Tompkins Square were always caustic. I remember stepping on a dead person there; I just looked back and kept going. It wasn't that unusual to see or feel or trip on someone who was dead or trying real hard to die. That's just the way it was then. No one had any money. No one had a good place to sleep at night. A lot of people never slept at all as far as I could see. On a plus side, there were always friends who would help you out if you needed it. There was always somewhere to go if you needed to get out of the rain. No on had a last name and everyone seemed like they were ready to help someone out who needed it. We looked out for each other because no one else was. Of course it's different now. Everyone looks out for themselves now and no one looks back. That's progress I suppose. That's what makes the wheels turn. I can't say I miss the old days because I don't. We made it out in spite of everything and have lived to tell about it."
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter