Monday, May 09, 2011

He said: "As a boy, I was fascinated by the cars that my father and uncles had. Even my Grand Father's car was a magical thing to me. Grandpa had a Buick. A Buick was a step up from a Ford. Which is not to say that a Ford wasn't good. It just wasn't, you know, classy like a Buick. Another uncle had a Pontiac. Pontiacs were Fast. They had "Pep", or maybe that was just the way my uncle drove. A friend of the extended family in and around Trenton, New Jersey, had a Chrysler. Now, that was one hot car. It was classy and fast. It smelled good inside and the door handles were kind on part of the body somehow. You didn't see the door handles until you needed to open the door. Then they were there. Otherwise they were not seen. The cars then were all Men's cars. Women, then, didn't have cars. Cars were a Man thing. Men bought them. Men fixed them. Men juiced them up. It was a power trip over both women, who didn't have cars, and other men, whose cars were maybe not as new or as shiny or not as fast as another guys car. My Dad traded in every 3 years. I think almost everyone traded in after 3 years. They didn't make cars that lasted any longer. And there was no "Foreign" cars then at all. All cars were American cars, made for Americans, in America. And that was that." After all, didn't America invent the car?"
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice text ! Now I have a smile on my face.

Roundstones.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous News said...

nice blog....thanks for sharing

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter